Sunday, January 5, 2014

all good things: new year edition

All Good Things started as a one-hour Sunday night radio show on KSTO St. Olaf radio, featuring feel-good music and 10 highlights from the past week. The show, and its current written form, is brought to you by Clara, Second Set of Baby Steps creator, and my radio co-host Cassie. We both contribute things to the list, so I'll tell you who said what to avoid confusion...

Sit back and enjoy!


1. Song of the week: Counting Stars by OneRepublic.. This song has been stuck in my head for what feels like 6 months now. It's actually pretty impressive how much I still like the song after that long. I like how abstractly relatable it feels.

It may have been song of the week before, but I'm using it again because this week J texted me a long string of nonsense, and I correctly guessed that he had recorded himself singing Counting Stars and texted it to me. Do we spend too much time together?

2. Google Hangouts. This week I have done a lot of touching base with friends, in all kinds of different ways, but I think the Hangout took the cake! It was so easy to talk to two friends at once, and we were all chatting from our phones! Plus there are plenty of opportunities for screenshots of the three of us laughing together. -Clara

3. Maryland Historical Society. On Saturday I had to go to Baltimore for a leadership training. My grandparents have been visiting from California and I have wanted to hang out with them more than I have been able to. So they and my parents met up with me after the training at the Maryland Historical Society, which was awesome, indoors (read: WARM), and also free! I am a history nerd, and MD does have some good history... But I think the crowning exhibit for us was the Furniture Room, which showed off hundreds of years of distinctive regional furniture. Who knew that was a thing? -Clara

4. Red Canoe. I drove down to B-more early so I could have breakfast with my girl before the training. She told me to meet her at this little bookshop-cafe called the Red Canoe. Now, I have always had a thing for bookshop cafes, and this one fulfilled my wildest dreams. Cute, cozy, full of books and sweets and warm things to drink. And of course, bookshop-cafe people are a great kind of people! -Clara

5. Pedicures. I got one today with my good friend and it was so relaxing! Sometimes I don't even realize how much I need to relax until I'm sitting in one place and have to sit still. Also, there was a man next to me getting a pedicure as well. How awesome is that?! -Cassie

6. My car started today! Although that seems pretty simple I was pretty worried about it since it's currently -9 in Minneapolis and will probably get to -20 tonight. Can't take those little things for granted! -Cassie

7. Lazy weekends! Since it's been so frigid I've spent most of the weekend hanging around the apartment. It's so nice to spend some time lounging about with nothing planned. It's also nice to stay in pajamas all day :) -Cassie

8. Getting a new book (to read for fun!) I got 4 for Christmas and am really looking forward to starting one. I'm reading Moby Dick right now for the first time and am really enjoying it :) -Cassie

9. Nesting. The new place is shaping up pretty nicely and feeling like home, but there are still a few things to be done. For one thing, up until Tuesday night, the walls were pretty bare! I've had all these posters waiting to be posted but hanging unframed posters is not a thing in the adult world, so finally I spent some of my Christmas money buying some simple black frames and hung them on the wall! Happy New Year to me! -Clara

10. Things to look forward to. I just signed up for the Spartan Sprint again this year, so training will have to start soon! And then I have made plans to see lots of friends in the near future, and or sit down for a good long chat. And today I went to help pick out the bridesmaid dresses for a friend getting married this summer. More weddings this year; new projects; big changes; a new routine... I'm feeling fresh and ready for bigger and better things!


* * * * * * *
Thank you, readers, for being with us tonight, and for giving me reasons to write, and things to write about.

And thanks for joining us every Sunday night! Join the Baby Steps on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/TheBabyStepsSaga for good things every day, and updates on new posts. Come back next week for another reminder of 10 more things to be thankful for!

Until then, be kind to each other, and find a reason to smile!

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment