Sunday, January 26, 2014

all good things: more than one love

All Good Things started as a one-hour Sunday night radio show on KSTO St. Olaf radio, featuring feel-good music and 10 highlights from the past week.

Sit back and enjoy!


1. Song of the week: One Love by Bob Marley. We sang an adapted version of this song at the retreat I went to this weekend, and it was awesome. It's really just a good song all around, and makes you feel alright.

I'm having a really hard time finding a video of Bob Marley singing this, so here's a cover from Playing for Change that seems fitting.

2. Roadtrip. This one is fresh in my memory since I just got back: the ELCA Delaware-Maryland Synod's annual high school retreat. This waas my second year as a small-group leader, and so far it has been very spiritually enriching. More on that in this Wednesday's post...

3. Snow days. We had a snow day and a half this week. I was working from home, but given the bitter cold I did enjoy being able to work in my huge sweatpants for once.

4. Ergonomic office chairs. On the other hand, by the end of a day and a half of working from home, my back and shoulders really appreciated the padded ergonomic office chair I use at work.

5. Ender's Game. I've been working on this book for months (renewed it twice from the library) and finally finished it last night. To avoid spoilers, I'll just say that the plot was compelling, and the twist ending lifted me up with a stroke of idealistic brilliance. Definite recommend for dystopia junkies like myself.

6. Company. I was planning on driving down to Ocean City alone on Friday night, but at the last minute I called my friend Abby, who I haven't seen in awhile, and worked it out to drive down together. It made the trip a lot more enjoyable for both of us, and it was a great opportunity to reconnect with her since I haven't seen her in a few months. She's awesome and I hope this was a catalyst for us to hang out more and get closer in the near future.

7. Chili. My favorite food, and one of J's specialties. When we have days off from work a lot of times "we" make a big pot of it (read: he actually makes it) and pack it up for lunch for the rest of the week. Plus, when it is so cold out it warms me up from the inside.

8. Big D's. Stay with me here. Big D's is a Delaware staple. Dave (D himself) used to have a shop half a mile from my parents' house, but I never went there and it closed this fall. But Big D recently started supplying smoked and grilled meats to the shop where J works, so I got to try ribs for the first time this week, and they were AWESOME.

9. A fellow Ole has had a family mystery (the fun kind of mystery) broadcast on TV, radio, and the internet this week! It's an awesome story and it's been really cool watching her updates on Facebook about it. Check out the Google search results on the story.

10. Prayer. Whatever this means to you, it is important. This week I have prayed for a lot of people: friends who live far away; new friends; myself, my family, people at home; people I've never met; those affected by the Columbia mall shooting. A lot of times I say I will pray for people so they will know that I care about how they are and what they are going through; but this week I felt more than usual that I had offered up these things in prayer and that they were actually lifted. Not completely erased, but the weight of these difficult things changed, and I do believe that, if I said I would pray for you this week, those prayers are being heard by someone. So have hope!



* * * * * * *
Thank you, readers, for being with us tonight, and for giving me reasons to write, and things to write about.

And thanks for joining us every Sunday night! Join the Baby Steps on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/TheBabyStepsSaga for good things every day, and updates on new posts. Come back next week for another reminder of 10 more things to be thankful for!

Until then, be kind to each other, and find a reason to smile!

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment