Wednesday, February 12, 2014

whether and what to contribute to the v-day "conversation"

I have no idea what to write about this week.

I've started working on the online dating post (finally!) and I'm remembering how much I love doing research papers. I discovered that Pew Research has an e-newsletter and I have been nerding out on data ever since. I wish I could post the online dating post now, but that one's going to take a little more time.

But it seems fitting to write about love this week. I started a sort of empty post about looking for excuses to celebrate - a fitting tribute to the original post, but through a very different lens. Maybe I'll save that for the final post, to bring baby steps full circle.

I thought about writing a post about love in general, to pay homage to the things, activities and people I love non-romantically. But I didn't know where to start. (You know who you are, though. I'm missing you! All of you.)

I thought about bucking the love theme, going the non-conformist route (typical, my roommate would say) and writing a post about the new church I went to on Sunday and how it made me appreciate, deeply, the inclusivity of Lutheran Theology.

I could write about my - our - first Valentine's Day as an engaged couple, or about how I wasn't expecting that act of commitment to bring us closer in different ways.

I could write about new love, like how I met a friend's new guy and his restaurant family this week. I could recall the giddy uncertainty of a new relationship and muster some potentially deep reflection on the topic.

Or I could write about what has struck me about the weddings of the past year, since last February 14th. About personalization and drawing out meaning in the details. About the power of being asked, explicitly in the most recent ceremony, to witness and support the married couple. About finding the balance between the relationship being celebrated at a wedding, and the community present, balancing the wishes and desires of the celebrants and the witnesses.

But I don't know what to write about, so I'll just leave it at that. Happy Valentine's Day/Random Acts of Kindness Week/Library Lovers Month, readers. Celebrate love your way this week - or not at all. Whatever floats your boat!

x o x o
Clara


posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment