Wednesday, November 20, 2013

oversleeping, and baby steps

Mid-November has come and gone. It's cold, and the holiday season is approaching. I've been sick for going on two months now, things are pretty crazy at work, I'm moving this week, and I haven't done any of my Christmas shopping which I vowed to get done before Thanksgiving. I think it's safe to say that's not going to happen.

It's funny, though, that two and a half years after graduating college, this is the summary of my life. I'm feeling more and more settled into this groove, and to be honest I like it. I have a lot more leftover emotional energy than I had at other points in my life, enough to keep in closer touch with old friends, for example. (Snapchat doesn't hurt, though, I'll tell you that.)

This week, though, I'm resisting the early wake-up. I do love starting the day with yoga, or with 1500 words, but my body just is not having it this week. On Sunday night, I checked my alarm for Monday morning and somehow completely failed to register that I didn't have one set. Predictably, then, I overslept, and missed yoga.

Monday night I double-checked my alarm, but come Tuesday I slept through it. Same this morning. And I haven't even been going to bed past ten o'clock!

The great thing about this is: I don't even care! At other points in my life, even other months this year, I would have been thrown off, anxious, certain that the odd start to the day set the tone for the rest of it. This week, I'm like, "I hear you, body. Thanks for laying down the law."

There are certain things not worth worrying about: things outside my control, and things that have already happened.

Except to the extent that they can inform my future actions and responses.

Does the same thing apply to NaNoWriMo? I've pretty much fallen off the horse and my novel is listing in the doldrums. I'm a little more anxious about how far behind I am on my word count, and how many days this week I haven't written, and how many of my writing days only produced a couple hundred words.

But I'm proud of how far I've come, and I have a good base. A better base than I've ever had for a novel. And I've learned a ton about how to approach the project, and prepare for it, nexth time I tackle WriMo. Yes, there will be a next time!

Baby steps, friends. I'm living it.



I want to hear from you. What are the baby steps you find yourself taking, readers? What are you struggling with? What are your victories? What do you want to know more about? What do you want to read about?

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment