Wednesday, November 27, 2013

baby steps: the home edition

Since last week, I have officially given up on reaching 50,000 words. But I crossed the 20,000 threshold goal I set for myself, and I'm happy with that.

Today is the end of my short work week, which is good because I don't know if I would make it through the week. There is too much in November. Monday was my birthday and, as J. said to me, I managed to make it my birthday month.

Besides, this week we moved to a new house in a new neighborhood. And I have learned, in the process, that "living together" and "moving together" are two totally different things. But so far, things seem to be going smoothly.

As smoothly as they can, anyway. I have also learned that there never seems to be that much stuff until you try to move it. Then you find out real quick how much stuff you really have.

And a house seems clean until it's empty and you go to clean it. Then you find the dirt and the leftover cat hair and the grime on the walls.

But bit by bit we are chipping away at it. The old house is getting cleaner and emptier, even though the power is out and the days are dark, and it's really hard to clean by the grey evening light of winter. And the new house gets a little more organized every day, even if I have to get up really early to make sure it happens. Sooner or later, it will turn into home.


posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment