Sunday, August 4, 2013

all good things: people and details

All Good Things is a weekly feature on the blog. It started as a one-hour Sunday night radio show on KSTO St. Olaf radio, featuring feel-good music and 10 highlights from the past week. The show, and its current written form, is brought to you by Clara, Second Set of Baby Steps creator, and her radio co-host Cassie.

1. Song of the Week: Listened to Faithfully by Journey today (an All Good Things classic!) It reminded me of our Journey paper in Senior Sem with Tom when he suggested we name our papers after Journey songs/lyrics. I named mine after the Faithfully lyric when Steve Perry sings "Ooo-whooaa-ooooooo-OOO" at the end. I thought it was the funniest thing ever :)

2. Visits from friends. One of my first friends from college, Lisa, came up from Baltimore this weekend and even just spending some really mundane time together recharged my heart and soul.

3. Sisters' night. On Friday night my two baby sisters (and by "baby" I mean they are not far from 20) spent the night. We ate Boston Market and watched Friends and then spent most of Saturday talking about important things and life. My family is really the coolest.

4. Perfect timing. On Wednesday night, after the great blogging fiasco of July 2013, Jason and I raced up to grab dinner before the 8:20 movie. We got to the restaurant at 7:50 and made it to the ticket booth at 8:30... And got decent seats in the theater halfway through the previews.

5. Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza. Delicious smoky-tasting pizza and savory, salty wings. Also beer, interesting decor, good background music, and pleasant, quick service.

6. Making new connections. Saturday night Jason and Lisa and I were talking about going out when I got a text message from a girl I met a few weeks ago at the Electric Run, asking if we wanted to get drinks in Trolley Square. So we went, and met up with her and her crew, and I remembered how much I love getting to talk to new people and expand my horizons. So worth it.

7. Orange is the New Black. (Netflix television show). Luke and I started watching it this weekend, and I really enjoy the show! It's completely different from a lot of the things on television nowadays. I really love how woman who are normally cast as aberrations (lesbians, convicts, ethnicities other than Caucasian) are main characters in this show. We're only 2 episodes in, and the show has been intense, but I like it!

8. Co-cleaning. Luke and I had guests over this weekend and didn't realize how gross our apartment was until like 30 minutes before they were due to arrive. Turns out, when Luke and I put our minds to it we can clean like the wind! It's actually fun to clean with another person, and I think we'll start doing that more often!

9. Napping outside! Spent a lovely afternoon at Lake Harriet Rose Garden on Saturday. I fell asleep on a blanket under a tree and had the most blissful nap ever. Gentle breezes, slow-moving puffy clouds, and fluffy dogs walking past me. It was seriously the perfect afternoon!

10. Baked peaches with brown sugar. In the summer I love cutting peaches (or nectarines or plums) in half, removing the pit, sprinkling brown sugar on them, and baking them. They make the perfect summer dessert with a little fresh whipped cream!

Enjoy the first full week of August, dear readers! See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment