Tuesday, September 4, 2012

15 minutes of moving

Greetings, readers. I'm going to try and make this quick, because I'm on a computer at the library and there is a 15 minute time limit at this station. The reason I'm at the library is because it's four blocks from my new house! And we don't have internet yet at our place.

13 minutes. It is weird moving into a new home. You'd think a holiday weekend would be the best time to make a major move like that, because we have 3 full days instead of just two to get three people's stuff from point A to point B, and get the whole place unpacked and functional. We did get mostly functional, and found some key dysfunctions (like the upstairs toilet, which refuses to drain). But there is still the issue of getting comfortable.

This involves things like, on a day like today where the humidity is higher than the temperature and the temperature is 85 degrees, installing air conditioners or at least fans in the important rooms. This involves things like mapping out our new routes to work, putting a few important edible items into the fridge, clearing a path through the boxes and stuff scattered at random across the major walkways.

More specifically, moving in consists of a series of strange rituals.
  1. Making granola, which makes the house smell familiar and also secures a good 2-3 weeks' worth of comfort food.
  2. Taking a shower and figuring out how the water works.
  3. Also, not to get PG-13 here, but I always have to get naked in a new place before I feel really comfortable there. It's a vulnerability thing, I guess.
  4. Be in the house when it's full. The first couple of days, the three of us (Kristy, Katy and me) were in and out, really busy, and never managed to cross paths in our new shared home. Weird. I was on edge until I got to say "hi" to one or both of them when I walked in, or when she walked in.
  5. Eat pizza. Jason claims this is a universal moving-in ritual. It may or may not be, but there is definitely something to be said about eating pizza on the couches piled with misplaced items and tools and unpacked boxes. It's funny and cozy.
I have 2 minutes left so for the sake of starting this conversation, I'm going to publish now. I have a feeling this is a list that will keep on growing. There are still a million things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment