Thursday, August 30, 2012

growing out (parental advisory)

PARENTAL ADVISORY: Mutti & Papa, I'm just warning you, you guys will probably find this very sad. New empty nesters, parents of college freshmen, and parents of any adolescents, teenagers, college students, and young adults will probably join in the cryfest. Like I said, I'm just warning you!

I.
Outgrowing

Remember when we were little, about 7 or 8, for example, and it seemed like we needed new clothes every week, because the dresses we'd been wearing suddenly exposed most of our skinny little thighs instead of ending below the knee? Remember how you had to wrestle the dresses away from us to "wash" them, and take them straight to the curb because they were so threadbare they were almost transparent, and anyway like I said they were suddenly 10 sizes too small? And you had to take them straight to the curb because if you didn't we would pull them out of the rag drawer and put them back on and get more grass stains on the grass stains?

(Totally made-up situation, of course...)

At some point you realize there are bigger clothes in the world that would fit us better, whether we like it or not.

Remember later on, when we were 11 or 13 or 15, and we started pretending to be asleep when you came to tuck us in at night, and learned how to roll our eyes, and stopped returning your hugs, and constantly schemed up ways to get out of your house?

I hope you didn't take it personally. At some point we realize the world is bigger than the world we have so far experienced, and we want to try it on and see how it fits -- whether you like it or not.

II.
Growing Up

I remember the moment my parents' faces and voices changed as it suddenly dawned on them that they had to pass on the baton and trust that they'd taught me well enough how to hold onto it.

I remember when I first pieced together the fact that my parents didn't have any grand secrets for navigating the world. Until that revelation, I was waiting for the ritual during which the key to adulthood would be bestowed upon me, complete with a detailed guidebook and map.

SPOILER ALERT: That ritual never happens (not yet, anyway). Or, it's at least not held in a dark room full of candles on the eve of your 17th birthday. Nobody is wearing cloaks (probably). There is no master of ceremonies who splashes holy wisdom water in your eyes, hangs the key on its thread around your neck, and sets the guidebook solemnly into your outstretched hands.

That ritual is much more drawn-out, over the course of years and maybe even decades, through every misstep and stumble and trial and error. It's drawn out over every new job and internship and tax return, over every courtship and breakup, every friendship and mentorship and through all our courses and classes and travels. Every now and then we dig up and dust off a key that looks promising, and we're cruising for awhile on our newfound adulthood, until we come up against another locked door and it starts all over again.

I can't say for sure, because I am by no means at the end of this epic quest, but I'd put money on the fact that there will always be another locked door ahead of us. No one hands us the key and the guidebook to adulthood because nobody has it.

Just a guess.

For now I'm jangling my ring of keys and just hoping I have one that works.

III.
Outgoing

It's been quite an exciting, fast summer in our house. Last night we had nine people at dinner; the night before you could see a different combination of 9 people around the fire pit in our backyard, and a bunch more people inside.

This morning I walked into the kitchen and Papa was washing dishes in there (atypical to run into him at 7:30am). He asked me how I was and I mumbled something amounting to "fine," and I after a minute I asked, "How are you doing?"

"Oh... I'm sad."

Which was, of course, heartbreaking.

More heartbreaking was the fact that I didn't even have to ask why, because the reason he was up so early was because he had just gotten back from dropping off Maria and Mutti in Philly, where they got on a plane to St. Olaf (via Minneapolis). Mutti will be gone until Sunday, but Maria won't be back until at least Thanksgiving, most likely.

Adding heartbreak to heartbreak, Thomas is leaving tomorrow to spend next semester in Berlin, and adding heartbreak to double heartbreak, the day after that is my official move-in day to my own place downtown.

I know both of my parents are in agony at the thought of three of their children going off into the world.

I know this because even I am a little sad about it, and also because they've both mentioned it to me on multiple occasions, together and separately.

What is even more sad to me is that they are being so supportive and excited for each one of us, and for Asha and Yana going to high school and playing volleyball and doing all their stuff, when they probably still see us as newborn babies that still fit in the crook of one arm, a la Father of the Bride.


And who would DREAM of letting newborn babies go out into the big scary world?! Or 7-year-olds, 18-year-olds, 20-year-olds, and 22-year-olds, for that matter...

IV.
Growing Out

The original title of this post was some variation on "parting of ways." But of course I have come up with a way to spin even goodbyes into an upward twist.

It's not really spin, though. We're not outgrowing home or the family. The cool thing about family (and homes, the way we tend to conceptualize them) is that it grows with us. Unlike clothes; unlike childhood, for the most part. We're expanding our worldviews, but we're not ever going to lose the seeds that planted us in the world, and the world in us, in the first place.

As I am about to learn from the peaches and figs in the new "backyard," things that are planted require special tending and care. And, if properly cared for, they drop juicy, delicious fruit right into our baskets. And every season they drop fruit, and every season their roots reach out a little farther underground. The roots might crowd each other out (or crowd out the crepe myrtle) or they might fill up the garden box and start breaking through the soil and the walls that hold it in.

But instead of leaving destruction in their wake, they bring fruit outside the walls of the box, and they expand the box itself to include parts of the world that were previously excluded.

Everything we are doing is just part of the equation, another leg of our quest for the Giant Ring of Grown-Up Keys, each one of which opens another door and expands the world again. Everything that happens creates new reality, and the infinite new possibilities that come with it. Everything we do and everywhere we go and everyone we meet becomes a part of us, and we grow out and our family grows out and we are all the richer for it.


***
Speaking of people we meet becoming a part of us, and of heartbreak, we also found out yesterday afternoon about the devastating loss of a family friend. Please direct your thoughts and prayers, dear readers, to this family, that they may find love, comfort, and support now, and strength through pain in the days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment