Sunday, June 19, 2011

happy dads' day

This Father's Day, I am appreciating my dad's incomparable ability to let me go.  You might never have thought about how hard this must be, but as recent college graduates my friends and I are (sometimes painfully) aware of how hard it must be for dads (and moms) to let their kids grow up and maybe even move really far away.  Maybe it's just that my dad has had awhile to work on it, seeing as I left home for the first time when I was 15 and since then I've basically considered myself the dictator of my own life (which is significant since I know of so few female dictators throughout history).

It must be hard to give birth to a baby (I was their first); to feed it, clothe it and house it for an indeterminable number of years; to teach it to drive and cook and make it get a job; and then at some point watch it run off with maybe a backwards glance, if you're lucky.  I've heard some babies even tell their moms and dads they hate them.  I don't remember ever going that far, and if I did say it out loud I didn't mean it, Mutti and Papa, but I guess some do.

Anyway, this is my backwards glance.  I love you guys and appreciate you so much, the things you have shared with me, the values you have instilled in me, and the seemingly inexhaustible love and support you have given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment