Sunday, October 6, 2013

all good things: there's a warm wind blowing the stars around

All Good Things is a weekly feature on the blog. It started as a one-hour Sunday night radio show on KSTO St. Olaf radio, featuring feel-good music and 10 highlights from the past week. The show, and its current written form, is brought to you by Clara, Second Set of Baby Steps creator, and my radio co-host Cassie. Sit back and enjoy!

The government may have shut down this week, but All Good Things did not and will not! Even in times of trouble, there is beauty in the world.

1. Song of the week: I'd Really Love To See You Tonight by England Dan & John Ford Coley. I heard this song on the radio on my drive home last Sunday, and it's been the only thing I've wanted to listen to all week. Classic.

2. Care packages. Just saw my girl Liz last weekend, but I got a bulky letter from her this week with a bunch of Kona bottle caps (from Hawaii) in it. This totally counts as a care package for me... Plus I've got a project brewing, one that involves a LOT of bottle caps.

3. Dads. I was out of work sick for most of this week (not a Good Thing) and on Tuesday when I woke up with a black eye I knew just who to call. My dad immediately snapped into action, took me to the doctor and then to the pharmacy and then sat with me at home until J. got home from work. I also got to hang out with him all day yesterday; we watched Castle and got milkshakes and sat down by the creek for awhile. It's nice. Dads are the best.

4. Girls' night out. Last night I went out for dinner at the Melting Pot with J.'s sister, his brother's fiancée, and a couple of friends. A four-course meal starting with cheese fondue and ending with chocolate fondue, with salad and meat we cooked ourselves at the table in between. Delicious. Plus, I do have a thing for really participatory eating experiences. And of course the company was great. It is important to have solid, intelligent, interesting women around.

5. How I Met Your Mother Season 8. This season just came out on DVD this week, so of course J. and I went out and bought it and have been burning through the episodes. SPOILER ALERT: I have been waiting for Robin and Barney to get together since the beginning of time so this season makes me dance gleefully again and again.

6. Sweet & salty caramel dip. Better than the regular old caramel dip, and not quite as sweet. With lemon-soaked apple slices? Unstoppable.

7. Leisurely walks. Since I've been sick this week I have pretty much been lying around not moving much outside of the regular bed-kitchen-bathroom-couch circuit. Finally now that I am starting to feel better J. and I went for a walk around the Newark Reservoir. It's way too hot for October, but the breeze up there is nice and mostly it's just good to get moving again.

8. Email chains. You all have heard of the "three things I'm grateful for today" email chain. This week I also have an email chain about depression and courageous expression with a fellow Delaware writer, and an email chain about company culture, jobs or lack thereof, and other solid new adult topics with some social science research friends from college. Gives me something to look forward to among the technological overload that is my life.

9. Making progress. In the good old "three things I'm grateful for" email chain this week one theme has been making progress, on personal goals and self-improvement and taking care of ourselves. Words of wisdom from the discussion: "You cannot change what you do not measure."

10. R&R. Since I was literally ordered by a medical professional to stay home for three days this week (not my personality type) I decided to make the most of it. Part of the reason I got so sick in the first place is because I didn't get enough rest, pushed myself too hard until I didn't have anything left. So this week I caught up on sleep, watched mundane movies that no one else will watch with me (except my little sister who was also sick this week) and just generally tried to breathe (which was difficult thanks to the deep cough that knocked me out in the first place, but still made a difference). I can't tell you enough how important it is to STAY RESTED! It's fall and flu season, people. Take good care of yourselves!

* * * * * * *
Thanks for joining us this week. I hope it made your Sunday night! Like Second Set of Baby Steps on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/TheBabyStepsSaga, tune in on Wednesday for reflections on new adulthood, and come back next Sunday night for the good things that are going to happen soon! Until then, be kind to each other, and treat yourself well.

No comments:

Post a Comment