Thursday, September 29, 2011

fresh eyes

After 3 trial contact appointments, I finally have a new prescription and I'm wildly excited about it.  It's probably time for some new specs too...

I'm feeling good.  Today is my mom's birthday and yesterday my dad turned 50!  Weird.  Grampi -- my dad's dad -- moved in with us on Tuesday so we're back up to 6 people in the house (with the upstairs shower still dismantled in the basement) and our original gender balance.  It's kind of strange being a family of sisters.

Also, the other night I was watching my mom and Grampi sitting together on the couch, talking about everyone's job, the family schedule, the YMCA, and it suddenly occurred to me how strange our relationships are.  I am blood-related to both of them, but the fact that they are "related" is a total societal construction.  It reminds me of the time I asked my mom if she ever had an identity crisis transitioning from "KLB" to "KLBS" to "Clara's mom."  She said no, but it's still amazing to me how people accept each other as family.  And both my parents call my Grampi "Dad."

I'm settling into my schedule, which gives me better footing to explore.  Last night I finally made it to the Homegrown Café in Newark, and while I'm more shy when I go out alone than I am with a wingman/wingmen, I had a nice time and as I get more confident around here I'll be able to start conversations with people.  I remembered how much I love Hoegaarden (yes, you can laugh, but I won't break down and drink porter or stout!) and that I can do tricks with my eyes.  This is always a good thing to remember when I'm stopping for tea at Bishop's Coffee Co. right up the street, or when I'm looking for the bubble pool at the YMCA -- or forgetting my towel in the other locker room.  Drip dry, baby.

This is a big week at work and fortunately one of my gifts is to rise to the occasion.  My energy level has started the uphill trek, but I'll still be glad when this week is over, with lots of three-hour meetings full of heated debates about the meaning and usefulness of social media, discussions about how stalkerish the new Facebook is, and how our firm can grow and excel.  I'm thinking back to my management studies and entrepreneurship classes, and thinking that I should maybe dredge up some of that organizational information. This is really an incredible learning opportunity, and as I approach the end of my standard three-week transitional period I think I can start really pulling out my gifts and bestowing them upon everyone -- throwing money at the flock, as we say around here...

HaHa, I am the most generous ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment