Saturday, September 17, 2011

conversions

I've been at my new job one week now and I'm a convert.  The learning curve is still steep, but the boss-man still doesn't seem to be questioning his judgement in hiring me.  I love my office and the people that share it, and I'm learning the ropes, slowly but surely.  I've become the person who has 47 web browser windows open at once, 4 of which are social network pages: Facebook pages of which I am an admin, lists of Twitter followers, social media newsletters offering marketing tips and "10 ways to get a job using Twitter."  I've been learning new terminology and playing with language.  Gotta stay ahead of the curve, always.  That is something I'm trying to grow into quickly, because I am still swinging my legs up onto this particular curve: the PR/social media curve.  It's a wild one.

Also, I have discovered using Twitter what I had failed to find with an extensive internet search: Wilmington's poet community.  I found an open mic -- a month past, now, but one that hoped to be the first of many -- and a local poetry journal project which is VERY intriguing to me.  I'm still, as they say, a n00b, but I'm slowly figuring out this new way of disseminating information, and over the past week I have discovered more appealing pockets of Wilmington than I ever thought I would.

While I'm on the topic of "appealing pockets of Wilmington," let me rave about the New Castle County Libraries.  I've tried out 3 branches (out of 13!) so far, and each of them hosts and promotes its own set of community events, publications, and programs.  It's really got an incredible infrastructure and as far as I can see serves as an important hub of activity within each of the communities it serves.

I discovered another appealing pocket of Wilmington this morning at the LCS Walk/Run.  Maria and I ran 4k out of 5k around the beautiful Rockwood Park, a mere 10 minutes away from our house, and what a great way to start the day!  We even talked to someone we didn't know, which is a step in the right direction for me -- if I'll initiate conversation I can tell that my guard is down enough to get going.

I'm going to adopt a "diamante" style for this post.  Back to Twitter: I also discovered with the help of Twitter that today is Passport Day!  Apparently U.S. passport agencies are usually not open on Saturdays (a fact you'd think I'd know by now, considering how long I've been needing a new one), but they are open today.  In Delaware, there are TWO sites open for business.  Small state?

And to the other tip of this diamond, let's get back to work.  Yesterday was my last day of my first week of my social media job, and the first day of my second weekend at the restaurant.  Along with becoming a 47-browser window kind of person, I have become a person with two jobs, and on Fridays I essentially work from 9am to 9pm.  It's a long day, but it's nice to be doing something, and once I start seeing paychecks for this work it'll be nice to have some cash coming in again.  Having work on my schedule six days a week is a bit stressful, but as we know I also like to have that structure.  You have to learn the rules before you can break them, right?

Things are looking up.  Diamantes are a girl's best friend ;-)

...OK, not really, but it'll do for the first wave, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment