Friday, August 5, 2011

REALLY in the moment (incl. flashback to my original past)

I think I've decided.  I think I'm going to stay in Delaware after September 5.

I think what I'm going to hate leaving most is bantering with Tony in the kitchen.  At least that's how it feels these days.  And as far as I'm concerned, that's what's true.

I was just remembering today, as a result of lamenting over the anticipated loss of this daily banter, I used to have an imaginary friend named Tone.  You can laugh, in fact you may nearly die of laughter, but my best imaginary friend for a lot of my early childhood was a guy named Fingerbopper, mature and well-rounded, and we told each other everything.  His girlfriend's name (get this) was Poony -- contrary to popular belief, her name comes from the word spoon in a secret language I had with myself and apparently my imaginary friends.  She was insanely jealous of my very close relationship with Fingerbopper for quite some time after her introduction to my social network, but eventually we worked out our differences and the three of us got along smashingly.  You might think that her having a male best friend would have assuaged her jealousy, but it really didn't have that much effect.  Tone was her best friend, and he was quite a legendary basketball player who occasionally stooped to playing street ball with my brother's team of imaginary friends.  You might also think that Tone and I would hit it off so we could double-date with Fingerbopper and Poony, but our relationship was little more than cordial, friendly at best.  He was definitely a cool guy, and pretty attractive as imaginary boys go, but we were well aware that our lives were going in drastically different directions, and we were more than OK with that fact.

You might be laughing hysterically, but consider for a moment how complex each of these characters are, and to what extent each of them exists separate from their relationship with me.  It's pretty extraordinary.

I Need Social.

Right now this means, I have been halfheartedly trying to work internet time into my schedule for nearly a week now; the reason I'm even giving this a second thought is because I desperately want to keep up on my blog.  (And to read Liz's -- yes, believe it or not I do keep relatively up to date, Lizzy...)  I don't return phone calls, unless they are important logistically.  I have friends over every day.  I am seeing the sights -- on Wednesday Eric and I drove over to Osceola to visit Cascade Falls, which reminded me of so many beautiful moments in my life.  I love waterfalls.  As I gushed over this eternal adoration, Eric commented on how easy it is to become numb to the beauties and attractions around your backyard when you're a local.  I returned, maybe without thinking very hard about it, that I don't think that's necessarily true...  But he caught my eye and said, "What I'm basically saying is, I've been really enjoying being refreshed, it's like seeing them for the first time, with you."

Basically what I want to do tonight, as soon as I leave here (when the library closes in 4 minutes) is: call Eric and invite him over to watch Benny and Joon, which he's been trying to make me do for almost a week now; eat a late dinner with Ann and Russell when they get back from fishing; and then go to the Tavern in hopes of running into my coworkers there.

It's so simple, but so rewarding.  This is what I'm living for right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment