Sunday, December 22, 2013

all good things: the fourth candle

All Good Things is a weekly feature on the blog. It started as a one-hour Sunday night radio show on KSTO St. Olaf radio, featuring feel-good music and 10 highlights from the past week. The show, and its current written form, is brought to you by Clara, Second Set of Baby Steps creator, and my radio co-host Cassie. Sit back and enjoy!

1. Song of the week: The Way I Am by Ingrid Michaelson. Yesterday on the train I kept hearing someone singing this song and finally realized it was my sister. We all got a good laugh out of that. And then it got stuck in all our heads, and on the way back the guy next to us started whistling the song too. Contagious feel-good jams!

2. Full house! I'm not talking about the TV show right now, nor a winning hand in Poker or Yahtzee. This week is the first time since August that all four of us kids are home, and I have thoroughly enjoyed spending a lot of quality time with my crazy-awesome sibs.

3. Taking the train to Philly! Yesterday we went up to Philadelphia's Christmas Village, and instead of braving the ridiculous holiday traffic we took the SEPTA train to Center City, right from Wilmington! It was only $10 round trip, per person, and we kinda got to sleep on the way home. We will definitely be doing that again.

3. The Christmas Village. This is awesome every year: the hot spiced wine, cute artisan shops and crafts, holiday spirit... And good company! Plus, this year we ran into Jamal playing Christmas carols on his saxophone. :)


4. Holiday parties. Wednesday was our work party in Philly, which is always fun. I work with really smart, interesting people so it's good to spend some non-working time with them. And then last night was the first holiday party of the year (officially ending my birthday season) and it was a lovely gathering of lovely people, in a house that smelled like Christmas spices. We also did a girls' lunch today, and the church Christmas pageant this afternoon, and roomie Christmas tonight. The next week and a half will be full of more parties and festivities and I am so excited for it all.

5. RadioLab this afternoon. RadioLab is this psychology show on NPR on Sunday afternoons, and I nerd out to it as often as I can. Today they were talking about hero psychology, what makes people risk their lives to help other people. I was totally captivated, but I literally felt a weight off my shoulders when the guy who runs the Carnegie Hero Fund said this: "We are fortunate to be living in a society, regardless of what you might hear elsewhere, we are fortunate to be living in a society where people do look out for others, even strangers."

6. Football in the snow. Watching the Steelers play Green Bay in the snow today was somehow so magical. And it looks very cold. And it's bizarre, when it's been over 70 degrees here for the past two days...

7. The dress came just in time! My bridesmaid dress for the wedding this Saturday was snatched off my porch last month, so it had to be reordered from the style that was in stock at the designer in China. We weren't sure it was going to come in time, but it turned up on Thursday - with barely enough time to get it altered before Christmas. Phew! Crisis averted.

8. Being done Christmas shopping. J and I are pretty much done with our shopping, and done wrapping too!

To be clear, I am done wrapping. I wrapped all the gifts, because if he did it they would all be in DSW bags with no tissue paper.

9. Reading. I have been making a point of reading lately, since I got Ender's Game from the library. So far it's awesome. Also, since we finished reading Big Fish together we haven't been reading, but just yesterday J picked up the Chronicles of Narnia (a Christmas gift from last year) so we're reading that now and I think I'm enjoying it even more this time than I did the first time I read it.

10. Happy holiday encounters. This year I have so far not come face-to-face with stressed-out thoughtless people in holiday zombie mode; on the contrary, I have had one pleasant encounter after another. (Knock on wood...) I am determined to make it to the new year this way: may good cheer abound!



* * * * * * *
Thank you, readers, for being with us tonight, and for giving me reasons to write, and things to write about.

And thanks for joining us every Sunday night! Join the Baby Steps on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/TheBabyStepsSaga for good things every day, and updates on new posts. Come back next week for another reminder of 10 more things to be thankful for!

Until then, be kind to each other, and find a reason to smile!

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment