Sunday, September 15, 2013

all good things: on the bright side of life

All Good Things is a weekly feature on the blog. It started as a one-hour Sunday night radio show on KSTO St. Olaf radio, featuring feel-good music and 10 highlights from the past week. The show, and its current written form, is brought to you by Clara, Second Set of Baby Steps creator, and her radio co-host Cassie. Sit back and enjoy!

1. Song of the week: The Fox by Ylvis. Two people sent me this song this week. It's sort of weird...but upbeat, and if you actually listen to the words and/or watch the video it's also kinda cute. A dance beat about animal noises.

2. This flash mob marriage proposal. I have always had a thing for that proposal video trend online; but this latest one is on a whole 'nother level. The fact that it's a same sex couple and that they're trending gives me a ray of hope for humanity.

3. El Toro. A little hole-in-the-wall Mexican place around the corner from us. It's easy to pass by, but it's been making Delaware's Best for 13 years. We got burritos and sangria soda to go and they definitely lived up to their reputation.

4. Water ice. Today I was feeling a little down and out, so J. and I walked to a water ice shop in the neighborhood and it was sunny and I got the tropical flavor and it was perfect. Just what the doctor ordered.

5. Getting stuff done. Yesterday I had plans that fell through, which was actually fine because then I had the whole day to frame the posters I've had lying around, plan out some DIY projects, and listen to my favorite weekend radio shows. Also, today I finally cut my hair after snipping off my individual split ends for at least a month now...

6. The ReStore. Another thing I did yesterday was go to the "new" Habitat for Humanity ReStore. This is a great resource for building and household items. Plus, I feel good about spending my money there because of the work they do.

7. Beautiful weather! On the plus side of everything this weekend, the weather has been gorgeous since Thursday night: sunny, warm but breezy enough to wear long pants or a sweater in the evening, and cool enough to add a blanket to the bed at night.

8. Crocs. So comfy. I don't care if anybody thinks they're ugly, it's all I want to wear lately.

9. Pumpkin. My roommate went to the beach this weekend and left a couple pieces of delicious rich pumpkin cake. Yummm... Also, scones, muffins, lattes, beer, so on and so forth. 'Tis the season.

10. Picking up each other's slack. We all get tired and cranky and worn out and defeated... But that's why we have support networks and communities to help us out. When one of us is tired, the other one makes dinner. Somebody cooks; somebody else cleans. The best is when you just know, without a lot of worry and negotiations, that it will all come out even in the end.

* * * * * * *
Like second set of baby steps on Facebook at www.facebook.com/theBabyStepsSaga! New posts show up there first, plus other articles about post-grad life, plus teasers and other important information. Thanks for reading! Tune in next Sunday for more All Good Things, and come back Wednesday for my latest reflections on being a young adult and "conquering the places we live."

No comments:

Post a Comment